Sunday, April 22, 2012

Titanic at 14 vs. Titanic at 28

I just saw Titanic for the 7th time in my life at the movie theater. Seeing it at 28 is a whole different experience from seeing it at 14. When I first saw the movie, I was a freshman in high school. I had barely kissed a guy and the love affair between Rose and Jack was very intriguing. All of my friends and I were all still high off of Leo’s romantically sexy role in Romeo and Juliet, and as a result, we were all “totally in love” with Leo. In the first scene where the camera shows a close up of his face, I remember all of my friends letting out a a sigh of sorts, a sound that can only be made by girls who are seeing their t.v. heartthrobs on the big screen. I guess this is what teenage girls do now with Justin Bieber. So, all of my friends put ourselves in Rose’s position and fell in love with Jack.

This time around, the experience was just a tad different…

1. Unlike the other 6 times in high school, I actually attempted to pay this time. Well, to be exact, my close friend paid for the tickets, but I at least attempted which is a step in the right direction. 

2. By the last hour, I was acutely aware of how my a** hurt from sitting in the seat for over 3 hours.

3. I didn't ball like a child at the end.

4. While I still thought Leonardo Dicaprio was a hottie, by the middle of the movie, I started scolding myself for checking out a teenager.

5. I can’t go back to school on Monday and roam around quoting lines from the movie with my girl friends “I’m not stupid, Rose. I know how the world works…” 

6. I couldn’t help but be a little bit focused on how that old woman throws the heart back in the ocean. I mean I know it’s not all about money, but COME on! She could have saved a whole country with the money from that necklace!

6. Most importantly, I didn’t feel all that teenage angst that comes with wanting a boyfriend and not having one yet, or having one that sucks because he is in fact only 14 years old. This time, I could happily say that I found my best guy, my best friend, my Jack Dawson. As cliché as that may sound, and trust me, I know it does, that is in fact the truth.

And, even with all those changes, it is STILL one of the BEST movies ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment