Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Life as a Busines Owner: Day 2


2/2/11
We tried to conduct a business meeting last night at 7, but it was after a long day of work for all of us and we were all exhausted. Usually, we can rally, but tonight, there was no cheerleader in the bunch. We got very little accomplished. As usual, I got a bug up my ass around 9 and stayed up till about 3 AM.
I woke up this morning at 8, then 9, and then I finally dragged myself out of bed at 11:11. I had two missed calls from J, our most dedicated salesman (and also friend) at the moment. The only problem is he lives in NYC. Perfect. He knows about the product, he is passionate, largely because he is shamefacedly broke, but nonetheless, he was born to sell and I know he would kick ass if the product was readily available to him in NYC. I don’t know how we will make that happen while he is still interested, but hopefully we will.
Anyway, he coached me on how to conduct a cold call for about a half hour last night and wanted to see how my progress was coming along. I had just woken up. Really? I hadn’t made any progress yet. I still had to wash my face, guzzle some coffee, call my grandmother since I hadn’t picked up her most recent calls, make my appointments for physical therapy, eat some semblance of a normal meal, oh and actually go to my job that pays. I had to fit that in somewhere too.
 So, no I hadn’t picked up the phone and started any cold calls yet. I know most of you are saying, “well get to it” and “why didn’t you wake up earlier?” I hate when I am asked the latter—everyone always wants to ask that. Part of the reason I started a bloody business was to sleep in; it’s the only bonus I get from this meager existence and I am NOT giving it up, so don’t ask anymore.
Lesson from today: Try to avoid calling business meetings when you know everyone is going to be exhausted. It is never that productive. Plan out your day, no matter how many hours you have or don’t have to dedicate to business, and make sure that in those hours, you only do business. Leave all the personal annoyances out of the equation. Make your appointments, pay your bills etc. any other time except that time you allotted solely for business stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment